Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Black Widow Spiders Poisonous to Pets

Pet Threats Come in All Sizes

Our doggie family ambled along on our typical morning walk along the community trail, enjoying the cool break in Vegas’ oppressive summer heat. With a family of two Labradors and a Yorkie mix, my crew is always up for fun and they investigate anything and everything.

Sometimes it’s a crunchy cockroach snack or the fortunate edible remnant in a discarded candy wrapper. My dogs enjoy the “date game” where they snatch up shriveled fruit fallen from date palms, crunching away before the mom and dad notice. And sometimes it’s a half-hearted game of chase with an unsuspecting rabbit. A more gut wrenching episode once involved my Labrador ingesting a rat with tail slipping down his gullet like a piece of spaghetti. My furry kids are professional trouble finders so I try to keep a watchful eye for things that make them go “Oooh”, and make me go “Ugh!”

Female Black Widow Spider

While walking along the pedestrian pathway we came upon today’s discovery- spiders and lots of them living in the recesses of a block wall. The hairs on my arm stood up as my Yorkie mix approached their lair. I recognize what these spiders are and what could happen to a 16 pound pup.

The long legged spiders were over 1 1/2” in length, black in color with a distinctive orange hour-glass mark on its underbelly. Meet the black widow spider, a common arachnid found in every state in the U.S. except Alaska.

The Black Widow Bite
Black widow spiders contain a potent neurotoxin that causes pain, swelling and can lead paralysis. Female black widows are the dangerous ones, while the males rarely ever bite. While some black widow bites go unnoticed, others cause immediate pain at the site or result in pain at the nearest lymph node. Pain intensity reaches its maximum within 1 to 3 hours after the bite, but can last up to 48 hours.

Symptoms of a black widow bite appear within 8 hours after bite an include muscle twitching, restlessness, rigid abdomen and difficulty breathing. Symptoms may result in high blood pressure, a racing heart rate, seizures and collapse. Dogs are more resistant to a black widow bite, but still can suffer serious illness. Cats are very sensitive to the toxins and can suffer fatalities.

Symptoms of black widow bite include:
  • Pain and numbness around bite site
  • Anxiety
  • Racing heart rate
  • Muscle pain and stiffness, especially abdominal muscles
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Paralysis
  • Seizures

Treatment for Black Widow Spider Bite
Call your veterinarian if you suspect your pet was bitten by a black widow. Initial home emergency care of a black widow bite may include ice packing bite area and oral antihistamines like Benadryl. Your veterinarian will need to see your pet to evaluate and treat the more serious symptoms. Treatment may include medications to control muscle spasms and seizures. Blood pressure and blood sugar are monitored and intravenous fluids may be administered. An antivenin is available for more serious confirmed cases of black widow bite.

Avoidance of spider habitats is the best prevention. These eight-legged critters favor dark recesses both indoors and outdoors. Look for cobwebs with a distinctive funnel-shaped opening at the top. And keep a close eye on your dog when out exploring. Inquire about spider control methods with your pest control company.

With pet noses so close to web level, the risk of black widow bites is just natural to being a dog. Our morning spider encounter ended without any drama, thankfully. After one firm “No”, my doggies retreated to unearth some other lucky find. Here’s to hoping it doesn’t involve any rats or bugs next time.


  1. Starlight Ridge is a boutique breeder of authentic ALAA registered Australian Labradoodles puppies.Get a wide range of family bred Australian Labradoodles

  2. Dogs, similar to humans, will suffer from completely different health conditions. whereas some ar gentle and might be treated reception, others will be severe. this can be why pet homeowners have to be compelled to bear in mind of the signs that may indicate that one thing isn't right with their pet. http://dogsaholic.com/care/dog-lymph-nodes.html

  3. My dog was bit 2 times im. Pretty sure. In his mouth but I don't think or kno if he was injected by the black widow it's been about 72 hours since. It happened if I give him the homeopathic remedy for it an he wasnt injeced with the venom will the pellet make him sick or worse

  4. While many spider bites are harmless and result in little more than minor pain and swelling, there are some spiders that can cause serious symptoms. When they are left untreated, these seemingly small bites can cause serious problems. One such spider that has a nasty bite is the Black Widow. See more http://survival-mastery.com/med/health/spider-bites-treatment.html

  5. My dog was bit a month ago. She's a large lab mix. It almost killed her - she was in the hospital and even now, 4 weeks later, she's still suffering after affects. She's much much better however. Terrifying. I had no idea how bad a bite could be.

  6. When we were out camping, by Golden Retriever wandered off for a second. I last saw a black widow taking a bite on her nose but my dog was quicker and managed to evade the spider's noose. I'm glad that my pooch got away but I'm not letting that pass, and promptly tied her on a leash. A quick look in the internet regarding spider bite treatments occupied my time after that. This site provided a lot of information and tips. This is quite remarkable and here's the link for everyone:http://backpackingmastery.com/skills/spider-bites-treatment.html

  7. V-Tight is an all-natural vaginal tightening gel that can help women reverse the loss of elasticity from childbirth, hormonal changes, and aging. Be tighter than ever naturally, without surgery or drugs. Vaginal Tightening Gel

  8. great post thanks for sharing with us i am loving to read this how to cum faster